EarthDay is both a celebration of our home, the Earth, and a call to action for us all.
We have brought our planet to the very edge of destruction and we must each of us, as individuals, take responsibility to protect her going forward.
One Billion people across the world will be joining in the effort on EarthDay itself, making it the world’s largest environmental movement. In Tenerife, we will work with others across the island to sponsor, promote and support a huge number of events. Our own efforts will span ten days leading up to EarthDay itself. We welcome concerned individuals from across Europe to come and join us – to work together in bringing change to our planet. Click here to learn about accommodation for your stay.
We will have a number of core themes:
1. (Re) Connecting with Nature.
A.We will combine the event with the International Spring Dolphin Festival which celebrates bottlenose dolphin families across the Canary Islands bringing their calves to play under the giant sea cliffs off Los Gigantes in the Spring. We will be working with the local dolphin watching community to put on special trips, including sunset and sunrise visits, to these amazing animals.
B. Forest ‘Bathing’ ShinrinYoku: The Japanese therapy, a cornerstone of preventive health care and healing in Japanese medicine. We will be offering specially designed sessions in both the high pine forests and magical laurel forests for which the island is blessed. Click here to learn more.
C. Night Sky: Tenerife is one of the best places in the world to stargaze whether it be on Las Canadas, the extraordinary volcanic crater of El Teide, the third highest volcano in the world, or around campfires in the high valleys. Learn how the ancients interpreted our heavens.
2. Wellness: as well as helping our planet the event will help individuals reconnect with nature to facilitate a deeper physical, and emotional withdrawal from the stresses and strains of everyday life, with proven benefits. Click here to learn more.
Additionally, the island is home to a diverse and extraordinary number of complementary and alternative therapies from Spirit Dancing to Aromatherapy, Ayurvedic medicine, Homeopathy, Hypnotherapy, Massage, Meditation, Mindfulness, Yoga and much more. It is something to do with the power of the volcano!! Along with many island based practitioners we will be inviting experts from across the world.
3. Story Telling:
We will invite storytellers from around the world and make this our first annual International Story Telling event, which will be integral to our EarthDay celebrations going forward.We hope to also bring shamans to the event to share their extraordinary understanding and experience with us. Storytelling is an ancient tradition through which we learn about how to live in harmony with our planet- around a campfire, under the stars the event will create unforgettable and inspirational experiences.
4. Children: Children are the future and everything we do today for our planet is to pass on to them a better world. We will be providing free opportunities to local school children throughout the event: story-telling, face painting, recycling, scavenger hunts, painting and drawing- competitions etc We will also run free workshops on our key programmes involving children: Art & Nature; Global Citizenship; Plant a Tree, Fund a Dream; Citizen Science AND, invite them to visit the Dolphins!
5. Culture: The event will be a celebration of Canarian culture – Stands, Workshops, Displays themed on foods, wines, music, wrestling, horsemanship, art and much more
6. Investing In Our Planet. What Will You Do? This is Earthday’s theme for this year (see www.earthday.org). We will be running workshops on things we all can do from protecting endemic species, plastic recycling, citizen science to planting trees and much more. The aim is to raise awareness of and build the skill sets in things we can all do to make a difference.
And we will be DOING!! - island wide beach clean ups, tree planting (target 10,000 trees in the week), helping in animal rescue centres etc. Your chance to be part of the change we all want to see.
7. The Big screen We will be showing the winning films at the London Eco Film Festival at the festival. Thirty films from around the world in ten categories: Fair Trade; Indigenous Peoples; Green Innovation; Ethical Living & Sustainability; Global Women- Female Voices & Perspectives; Social (In) Justice; Refugees; Mental Health; Climate Emergency.
These films are selected to educate, and to inspire.
8. Live Stage: (LiveAid, eat your heart out!!) Evening music events will celebrate music that has helped to change the world and help inspire us all to do more. Michael Jackson to Enya and everything in between.
11. Activities in Nature: the event will provide opportunities to enjoy nature through such as: hiking; trekking; horse riding; sea kayaking; horse riding; sailing; scuba diving; snorkelling; climbing; mountaineering; cycling; mountain biking; surfing; wind surfing; paddle boarding and kite surfing.